Skip to main content

Regarding Technology (a departure from WebDev)

I'm departing from WebDev for a minute to blog about technology. I'm as guilty of over-indulging in technology as anyone, especially given that my career demands a technology overload. Today at noon is the solar eclipse and that prompted me to think about the past and the future. I started to think about where the world stands and a song came up on my playlist that seemed perfect for my mood.

27 years ago, Bad Religion wrote a song about the current generation of kids. It would be prophetic if it weren't for the fact that the trend had already begun back then. In any event, it seems now is a good time to look back at the lyrics:

'Cause I'm a twenty-first century digital boy
I don't know how to live but I got a lot of toys
My daddy's a lazy middle-class intellectual
My mommy's on Valium, so ineffectual

What child these days does not have multiple devices to play with? Gaming systems, television, computers and tablets are in nearly every home. Kids have so many toys...but have they forgotten how to live?  Kids are failing to develop the skills that they will need to become productive and happy adults. And among today's adults, we find that armchair activism and anti-depressant abuse is rampant.

The last line of this epic song pretty much sums up the millennial generation:

Everything I want, I really need.

On the bright side, Bad Religion was all about irony and it seemed clear to them at the time that technology was going to affect kids for both good and bad.  The question we have to ask ourselves is whether we have done an adequate job of tempering the "bad" effects of technology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

jQuery noUIslider Pip Label Customization

Recently, I was tasked with creating a slider element for a user to select their credit rating, of which the user can select from among: 'Poor', 'Fair', 'Good', 'Excellent' and 'Not Sure'.  Several problems presented themselves here: A drop-down box would be better, but that's not what the requirements specified. I already have several numeric sliders on my page and I want them all to match. I selected the jQuery noUi Slider library to create the numeric sliders. noUi Slider does not support string values - only numeric values. The "pips" (slider scale/labels) also does not support string values. Since the solution involved shifting my mindset, I wanted to document it here for future reference and maybe to help someone facing the same requirements. Here's my solution: Since there is really no numeric correlation to credit score (especially considering one of the options is "Not Sure"), I will just u...

Salesforce Apex: Replacing and/or Removing Apex Classes

Working with code within the constraints of Salesforce's workflow can be a challenge.  First , you have the restriction on changing anything in production.  Second , you have the requirement for 75% or greater unit test coverage.  Third , you have the fact that certain metadata cannot be pushed to production through a changeset (which means the only way to sync record IDs is by re-deploying the development environment from production). Fourth - and this is what I'd like to blog about today - you cannot delete classes from production through the Salesforce UI .  The only way to delete a class from production is to download the class (and its associated metadata file) into the Eclipse IDE (which you have previously set up with the Apex add-on), change the "status" flag to "Deleted", then deploy the changed metadata file to production.  And (here's the kicker)...sometimes it doesn't work because...reasons. So let's start with the workflow of a f...

More Laravel Magic - Touches

What is "touches"?  Well, anyone familiar with Linux/Unix is going to be familiar with the concept of "touching" a file.  Touching a file sets the "last modified" timestamp (or creates the file if it doesn't exist).  Knowing when a file was last modified can be very important for version control. Laravel has something similar for its model relations.  For example, lets say there is a club with many members.  When a member joins, leaves or gets a new role in the club, you might contend that the club has changed.  In terms of Laravel, you would want the club table's "updated_at" timestamp to reflect that change.  Enter the "touches" property... To make the magic happen in Laravel, you simply need to define the parent relationship and add it to the touches property like so: <?php class Club extends Model { /** * Touches (touch parent model when this model changes) */ protected $touches = [ ...