Skip to main content

Regarding Technology (a departure from WebDev)

I'm departing from WebDev for a minute to blog about technology. I'm as guilty of over-indulging in technology as anyone, especially given that my career demands a technology overload. Today at noon is the solar eclipse and that prompted me to think about the past and the future. I started to think about where the world stands and a song came up on my playlist that seemed perfect for my mood.

27 years ago, Bad Religion wrote a song about the current generation of kids. It would be prophetic if it weren't for the fact that the trend had already begun back then. In any event, it seems now is a good time to look back at the lyrics:

'Cause I'm a twenty-first century digital boy
I don't know how to live but I got a lot of toys
My daddy's a lazy middle-class intellectual
My mommy's on Valium, so ineffectual

What child these days does not have multiple devices to play with? Gaming systems, television, computers and tablets are in nearly every home. Kids have so many toys...but have they forgotten how to live?  Kids are failing to develop the skills that they will need to become productive and happy adults. And among today's adults, we find that armchair activism and anti-depressant abuse is rampant.

The last line of this epic song pretty much sums up the millennial generation:

Everything I want, I really need.

On the bright side, Bad Religion was all about irony and it seemed clear to them at the time that technology was going to affect kids for both good and bad.  The question we have to ask ourselves is whether we have done an adequate job of tempering the "bad" effects of technology.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

jQuery noUIslider Pip Label Customization

Recently, I was tasked with creating a slider element for a user to select their credit rating, of which the user can select from among: 'Poor', 'Fair', 'Good', 'Excellent' and 'Not Sure'.  Several problems presented themselves here: A drop-down box would be better, but that's not what the requirements specified. I already have several numeric sliders on my page and I want them all to match. I selected the jQuery noUi Slider library to create the numeric sliders. noUi Slider does not support string values - only numeric values. The "pips" (slider scale/labels) also does not support string values. Since the solution involved shifting my mindset, I wanted to document it here for future reference and maybe to help someone facing the same requirements. Here's my solution: Since there is really no numeric correlation to credit score (especially considering one of the options is "Not Sure"), I will just u

How to Create a new Case Record Type in Salesforce

Here are the specific steps for adding a case record type. Some steps may vary by organization but the process should be pretty similar to what is shown here. 1) Create a new page layout 2) Add any new case statuses to picklist 3) Edit case statuses that should indicate case is "closed" 4) Add any new case types to picklist 5) Add any new case reasons to picklist 6) Add any new case origins to picklist 7) Add any new fields to case object 8) Under Record Types, ensure the picklists have the correct values (i.e. - Reason/Type/Origin) 9) Within the Type field, edit "Reason" field dependencies matrix and add new reason(s) to types 10) Create a new support process (if not reusing an existing one) 11) Create the new record type (enable for all profiles) 12) Finalize the page layout (if needed) and check "Default" in Case Assignment checkbox under Layout Properties 13) Create approval queues (if needed) 14) Set up approv

View Helpers - Custom Output Parser

I was reviewing some blade view code recently and decided it was too verbose. There were some long output statements that were duplicated throughout the view and that always signals a need to refactor or come up with a better method. So I wanted to share (or at least document) what I came up with here. First, the issue: fields stored as boolean "0/1" in the database must be output in "Yes/No" format. Plus, if the field is blank (or null), that must be reflected as well. Add to that the uncertainty of whether the production Microsoft Azure database will return a string or integer value for 1 or 0. This problem necessitates a blade statement like: {{ $object->property === null || $object->property === "" ? "" : $object->property == 1 ? 'Yes' : 'No' }} Like I said...verbose! One solution might be to create a Laravel accessor for the boolean field in the model. But that would mean that if I want the actual boolean